Sunday, August 8, 2010

Good ol’ American fun: S’mores

Back in the middle of July, my closest neighbor (i.e., the closest PCV to me), Ari, came and visited me for a few days in Kayemor to help me with agroforestry stuff (since she’s an agfo PCV). While she was visiting, there was another American college student, Tasia, staying in Kayemor (with a different host family than mine) for a little over a week because she was volunteering for 10,000 Girls (the NGO that started the girls group in Kayemor and that does a lot of work regarding girls education in Kayemor and in the rest of the Kaolack region) for the summer and the director of 10,000 Girls, Viola Vaughn, wanted her volunteers to see what life is really like for the girls they are working to help. So the last night Ari was staying with me, we decided it would be fun to invite Tasia and several of the girls in the girls group over to make s’mores since there were three times the normal number of Americans in Kayemor, so we should do something American. I had made s’mores one other time in Kayemor (with my friend Yassa and her family) but not in my compound, and (just like the first time) everyone really, really, really liked it. So if you want to continue to pass on a great American tradition in Senegal, send me s’mores stuff. :)

Here’s Ari (looking a little tired – it had been a long day) with my brother (in the red), Moussa, and 2 of the 3 Talibe boys that live in our house, Moussa and Amadou:

Here’s Moussa (being his goofy self) and Amadou again, along with Tomsir:

Here’s me (really concentrating on making my s’more) and one of my host mom’s friends (surprised by the flash), one of Tasia’s host sisters, and Tomsir:

Here are the kids again, along with a girl in my girl’s group, Penda:

Here’s Tomsir trying to teach Diabou, the president of my girls group, how to roast her marshmallow, while another one of Tasia’s host sisters looks on:


No comments:

Post a Comment