Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Final Placement Site!

We returned to Thiès yesterday after 2 weeks at our home-stay. I will write more on that later, but for now I want to report that we were told our final placement sites today. Mid-afternoon we were all blind-folded on the outdoor basketball court with a large map of Senegal painted on it and led to our approximate final placement sites. It was quite exciting – especially sticking my elbows out before we were allowed to take off our blindfolds to feel who was next to me. There is a fantastic group of PCTs (future PCVs) in my region; but I’m getting ahead of myself. :) Drum roll please…

I will be in the village of Kaymor (spelled several different ways – oh Senegal; population of about 1800) in the Kaolack region in central Senegal about 35 km from the northern border of The Gambia. There was a sustainable ag volunteer like me there who just COSed (Close of Service), but will be in Kaolack until next March working for a girls ag NGO, so she’ll be a great resource for me. From her 22 page COS report I can tell I have large shoes to fill – both incredibly exciting and intimidating at the same time. I wouldn’t want it any other way, though. :) I am heading off Saturday morning to meet Kate (the previous PCV there) and to spend 5 days in the village with her. Can’t wait to see where I’ll call home for the next 2 years and meet my new new family (juggling three families could be tricky…). Again, wouldn’t want it any other way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment